PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap retraction
Thread: Flap retraction
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2012, 22:28
deefer dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BizJetJock;
Enjoy your life of destitution... it concludes that climbing at a lower speed with flap is quieter than a higher speed clean.
If that's what it states, then okay, I'll eat the humble pie and accept it. I don't have the time or inclination to read about noise abatement, and as non CAT, I don't give a fcuk about it either; I've never been busted for noise, but that is not the topic in hand.

Guys, I am prepared to learn here if that's what's needed, but so far nobody here is doing the teaching. Most are happy to quote "it aint in the AFM, so therefore it can't be right," but the fact remains that in the Hawker (which many of you have been quoting), the 900 does, under ALL conditions, provide a better OEI climb gradient with flaps retracted than it does with flap 15. All day long, and day, any WAT.

Unless one is runway length limited, any Hawker driver will, as a matter of course, choose to take off with zero flap. Why? Does it have anything to do with second segment? Er ...yes it does!!

Taking this just one step further. If you are runway length limited, what reason is there for NOT getting shot of the flaps at the earliest possible opportunity (provided all engines are operating) when by doing so you know know that your climb gradient is suddenly improved should an engine quit?

Now, on the other hand let's consider the engine failure, with take off flap selected, just after V1. This is an entirely different scenario, and in such a circumstance there is a very good reason why one should NOT retract the flaps too soon. It's not to do with the fact that you won't better the gradient with flaps retracted, but rather the reason is to do with the reduction in climb gradient while you accelerate to a speed that provides the margin for flap retraction.

As stated at the beginning I am prepared to learn if I have got it all wrong, but please if you want to teach please add some meat and gravy to your argument rather than amplifying the " it anit in the AFM, so therefore it can't be right."

If I hit V2 +20 with all engines operating, and it arrives before VFTO, please tell me why I should NOT retract the flaps in the knowledge that, in my aircraft, under any conditions, doing so will improve my climb gradient should en engine quit? Please teach me.