PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbulent Approach Less Flaps
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2012, 21:16
BARKINGMAD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking Aloud.

From the dregs of my memory when having brain drained and chip-detection done by CFS aeons ago, the phrase "spanwise distribution of lift" oozed out.

Apparently the more flap, the more the majority of lift moved inboard reducing the effect of the ailerons and adversely affecting roll control per degree of control column/stick deflection.

Whether this still applies to our exotic multiple roll-spoiler shiny craft I am blissfully ignorant, and await educating further.............

Yes, a higher flap setting means higher average thrust and rpm in the event of a sudden need for energy input, though the greater drag of that flap setting must offset that advantage in the event of a go-around, surely the craft will reach the G/A flap setting slightly later, delaying the increase in energy input?

For those on this topic who seem to think there is only ONE land-flap setting, why does Mr Boeing for example have 3 flap settings with 3x VsREF in the FMS for the 73s various? I appreciate the F15 setting is for non-normals, but my last 4 companies permitted either of the other 2 settings, depending on LDA or whether a lower attitude was needed for LVOs visibility over the glareshield.

Finally, old classic 747 drivers may recall Mr Boeing advised using F30 on the Jumbo where possible, later in its life, after large sections of flap assembly were dropping into peoples gardens as a result of fatigue exacerbated by regular use of the maximum setting!

A lie-down in a dark room beckons again, after exercising what's left of my neurons, during the usual winter hibernation of a contract-trash airframe manager.