PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap retraction
Thread: Flap retraction
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2012, 13:45
BizJetJock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't read it, but would bet my last dollar that one is gonna make less noise for less time climbing with less flap.
Enjoy your life of destitution... it concludes that climbing at a lower speed with flap is quieter than a higher speed clean.

For the purpose of this argument though, who gives a fcuk about the noise when you are climbing out on one engine?
Nobody - we're talking about the 2 (or more!)-engine profile, where you have to consider the highly likely case that all the engines continue working, as well as planning for the unlikely case of one stopping.

but if it is the case that the gradient will be better is that not enough to make his case?
With regards to obstacle clearance, yes. However for some a/c types you cannot prove that the overall gradient will be better, so it cannot be used as a general principle. And then there are the types where the AFM does give a minimum flap retraction height.

But all this also begs the question of what is the rush? Why are you so keen to have hands flashing around the cockpit close to the ground?
Personally I think the most immediate action is making sure the coffee maker is on..