PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap retraction
Thread: Flap retraction
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2012, 12:21
BizJetJock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure about enjoy, but it was interesting. Basically said configuration (i.e. flaps up/down) makes stuff all difference to noise. The two biggest factors are:
Thrust setting - so all a/c that are capable of it should use reduced thrust for takeoff
Speed - We should be going for max body angle rather than letting the a/c accelerate.

Since bizjets not on reduced thrust will invariably accelerate to a fairly high speed even at 15 degrees of pitch, it bring it all back to the question of what procedure you should use for an EF at 500'. I am firmly in the camp of leaving the flaps at the takeoff setting, since you are then in the configuration you have done the OEI planning for, and guaranteed to be above and able to stay above the calculated flight path.
While there is some logic to Tom's suggestion for some a/c types, where even at max body angle you have reached Vfto or equivalent (note, it must be Vfto and not some lower speed that would subsequently require acceleration in the event of an engine failure), and the clean climb gradient is always better than the 2nd segment (again, not true for all aircraft), logic only gives you a "probably ok" which is not good enough.

And that also ignores the fact that the more different contingent procedures you bring in (EF here I do this, EF there I do that, EF over there I do procedure 3), the more likely people are to get it wrong. Even with 2 procedures, normal and OEI, a significant number of people get it wrong. So having the same procedure, the only difference between normal and OEI being the target speed, hugely increases the chances of success.

And finally, there is the factor that IMHO the drag and reduced pitch angle of flaps on the initial climb are a benefit from a handling perspective, especially with a low initial level off. By keeping the RoC low - only about 3000fpm! - it greatly reduces the chances of a level bust.