PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American ( London) Consulate ban on mobile phones
Old 30th Nov 2012, 10:19
Phil Squares

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, that is true to a point but in the end common sense should prevail. But it is far from being used.

About a month ago, my daughter and I went to the embassy to get a new passport for her. After living in other countries where we have done the same drill, we were surprised there was no storage facilities. So off to the Chemist we go. We were told nothing that had batteries could be taken in. This included key fobs and anything else. My daughter had a thumb drive that she was told there was no problem bringing in.

So off we go to the chemest and back we come only to stand in anohter line. (but that is another story). Shortly we were put through the security with her purse being x-rayed. She was asked if she had earphones in there. She is 17, so that was a pretty safe question. Sure enough she did.

She was told she could not take the earphones in! How about a little common sense being used. For the life of me I can not figure out what threat a pair of earphones could be!!! How about a little common sense.

The funny part was I told her to just throw them in the bin. The screening person told us, in no uncertain terms, they would have to be thrown out in a bin in the park! They could not toss them there. I give up.

But my daughter, being quick on her feet, went out to the park and put the earphones in a bunch of low plants and 45 minutes later retreived them with no issues at all.