PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap retraction
Thread: Flap retraction
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2012, 10:02
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kak thats an interesting comment.

I did my exams at london guildhall up on the top floor and remember lauries lectures well

Remembering his lectures has convinced me even more that the problem lies in the teaching. The only case that was calculated was OEI at V1. Thats all you needed to pass the exam. All based on a Tristar from what I can remember. The legacy is that pilots believe they have to degrade the performance of the aircraft on normal take offs so that in the event of a failure they can re-capture the worst case scenario. But it simply isnt true. Because people misunderstand the segments and whats actually going on, they think they have to resort to a flapped climb in the event of a failure to comply and its just not true. Its a very significant failure in the training and testing regime.

Engine failures are rarely as benign as we experience in the sim and the shock of a powerplant letting go, shedding bits, and vibrating like mad is not realistically replicated in the box. I genuinely feel that we should be armed with the most appropriate and easiest aircraft to fly in this event and clean and fast is the easiest configuration. I haven't got a hawker manual to read but I'm assuming that what apruneuk has posted is correct and perhaps its written that way because the enroute climb gradient is good enough to meet the criteria. The 125 series is derived from the dominie which was a IMC and IFR trainer for the RAF for a long time so wouldn't be surprising if the aircraft has some basic design features which make it easy to handle with failures. For the Hawker, the default configuration for take off should be flapless anyway because of the superior 2nd segment and easier handling with a failure. The flaps shorten the roll and give an earlier lift off and mean lower brake energy in the event of a critical stop but that seems to have got lost in the mists of time too.

I think this matters because there's a mixture of ideas about what to do with a failure higher up the climb. I've flown 1200 sectors as a line trainer and simply discussing this with pilots seems to cause confusion - its never been explicit in a part B or an AFM for a pilot to read. Even on here its clear that pilots confident enough of what should happen have conflicting ideas. I'm still not clear on what some of your plans are in the event that you retract the flap at 400 feet "above V2+x" and then the engine quits. Would you pitch up to reduce the speed? Would you hold the pitch and let the speed bleed off more gently? Would you reduce the pitch and bleed the speed off really gently? I've never heard a pilot brief it and I don't tend to bother either. There's a complex drag argument to be had for doing each of those three things whether you are flapped or clean when you have excess speed and as the PM I'd like to have a really clear idea of what the HP's plan is before it happens because if the mental model is different to mine when an engine fails the discussion is going to be compressed..