PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Union Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS)
Old 30th Nov 2012, 08:23
Mike Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The way I'm understanding this,
1) The EU suspension for 12 months will make almost no difference to Biz-Jet operators. You only save on the into and out of sectors all the others inside the member states still have to be accounted for. For us this is only about 6 sectors a year (BIKF-CYYR) In some ways this has complicated matters as these have to be removed. However, if the Suspension is lifted next year then you will still have to pay for these sectors. What this has done is lift the international airlines out of the scheme for a year and maybe reduce some of the pressure on the EU.

2) EU-ETS Prohibition Act --S. 1956 would direct the Secretary of Transportation to prohibit an operator of a civil aircraft of the United States from participating in the European Union’s emissions trading scheme in any case in which the Secretary determines the prohibition to be in the public interest, and would also provide the Secretary of Transportation with the authority to ensure that U.S. aircraft operators are not penalized or harmed by the E.U.’s unilateral emissions trading scheme.

This is where I can see the Biz-Jet (N reg) operators getting between a "rock and a hard place". Much as I dislike the thought, the EU countries do have the right to legislate on what happens in their airspace and could ban or impound aircraft if the Operater does not comply within the EU. Whether
the US Secretary of Transportation would bring trade sanctions and finance to help a lone Operator I seriously doubt. Hopefully, some clarification can be obtained from NBAA as I just cannot work out how all this would be enforced.

Mattman has encompassed most of the options.

Anybody any other thoughs?

M.E.