PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Something to answer for AFT??
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2012, 03:24
cooolridge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reply I got from CASA after my complaint about the 94% failure rate of the new FP exam:

On behalf of the Director of Aviation Safety, thank you for your feedback.* The Director has asked me to respond to you.
To maintain the integrity and quality of the flight crew licensing system, CASA recently made minor adjustments to the numeric parameters of the ATPL flight planning examination.* In other words, the figures used in some of the questions have been changed, without changing the substance of the question.* For example, a question that included a wind speed of X knots now has the wind speed value set at Y knots.* The question is otherwise the same.
Such variations are consistent with real-world flight planning requirements. Airline pilots are expected to be competent in basic mathematics, as well as the principles and methods of planning a flight in an air transport environment. A well- prepared candidate who has thoroughly studied the training syllabi should possess the necessary skills and knowledge to pass the flight planning examination.
CASA has not substantively re-written any exam questions. *The syllabi, form of the questions, thread, context or narrative within the questions has not been changed.
Historically, flight planning has always demanded a high level of skill and knowledge in flight planning principles, as well as competence in technique. *These are the minimum competencies that CASA would expect from a pilot wishing to undertake the duties of an air transport pilot.
CASA is mindful of recent increases in ATPL exam failure rates, and is looking into the basis of that.