PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flock of birds near runway
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2012, 01:10
Lucerne

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Flock of birds near runway

I can concur from experience that the starlings and similar sized birds make it through more often than not. You would be right in assuming that the Canada Goose has les chance although I have seen a situation where a Brolga made it through the prop of an AT-502 and successfully demolished the windscreen. It came to rest on the cockpit floor below the spray lever after the pilot sustained significant neck and chest injuries. The bird was still in one piece although dead (of course).

The starlings still regularly make it between the blades of a -11 Garret running a 5 bladed prop and spraying at an average speed of 120kts, Propeller Speed - 2100rpm. At night the only indication of an ingestion is a series of sparks shooting from the exhaust. Daylight ingestion is commonly unnoticed in flight but evident from the remnant debris on the intake grill.

I know of only one engine failure resulting from such an episode (in Australia at least) over many tens of thousands of hours flown. Most Garret failures seem to result from fuel quality issues and also FCU corrosion issues.