PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap retraction
Thread: Flap retraction
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2012, 11:03
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they quoted a section of FAR25 without quoting the conditions one of which is a failure of the critical powerplant at V1. How is this relevant if you have planned for that failure but actually achieved V2+X and are climbing with all engines operating to that point?

Let me stress again because some people seem to be concerned that the planning changes. The planning remains performance group A - nothing has changed. In the event of a failure of a powerplant at any stage the actual flight path exceeds that of the net take off path calculated (as shown by the two charts I posted).

What I've been suggesting is that we follow the AFM. What most pilots are doing is making up procedures which rely on falling back to the most degraded flight path possible and I have no idea why they are not following the manufacturers guidelines. I'm being accused of making up procedures - the opposite is true. I'm suggesting that we read the AFM properly and do exactly what it says rather than come up with utter rubbish like climbing against drag to control the speed, delaying flap retraction so that theres "handling margin" and all these other bogus arguments which would be in the flight manual if they were true.

If you are going to quote regulations you have to understand them. FAR25 is for certification and nothing I've said changes what you do if an engine fails at V1. But the lack of aerodynamic understanding and made up rules that people are applying simply because they have never even considered failures at other points in the climb is astonishing. Where have you got your procedures for an engine failure at 500 feet with V2+50 and take off flap set? It simply doesn't exist! Its nowhere and you made it up! More likely, someone else made it up and you and others follow it blindly without thinking about it. What is the problem with following the AFM? I simply don't understand what the argument is against doing this.

If its in the AFM then fine (cough and his 737 and 320, its very good that he's read it and knows its in there) but is isnt in the AFM for the types I have flown or written manuals for. Is it actually in the AFM for your aircraft or do you just think it is?