PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight - Should airline pilots have more/better/different upset recovery training?
Old 29th Nov 2012, 09:15
NARVAL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
"Air France lost an Airbus a couple of years ago because of two pilots that couldn't fly without automation. They still don't care."
May I try to differ from that statement (respectfully, I understand your anger, and share it, too): they do care, but they do not know how to solve the training issue.I have read this thread and I share most of the thoughts expressed...although I do not like to play the old warrior, I come from a generation that was trained at things which would scare the young modern pilots to death...flying aerobatics at very low altitude and at night (training in the french navy 1969) training at aerobatics under the hood with needle and ball ,the speed, and nothing else etc...But even if you are at ease with unusual attitudes, even if your experience enables you to stay cool when suddenly wake turbulence you should have avoided sends you at 80° bank on final approach...you have to keep in mind the fact that you no longer fly the solid, simple aircrafts we knew. All the things I have read in this thread seem to imply that when you act on the yoke, or sidestick, the plane will respond. Take the Air France A330, and its crash, since you speak of that company. I will certainly not reopen the thread here, all has been said elsewhere. Let us not even think of "they did not do this, or that"...let us just look at what they did, right or wrong, and the result on the flight controls:
they did not trim the aircraft...it trimmed itself UP to the very end of the THS capabilities, silently. When the pilot (time 02H12'35'') decides to use forward stick, not long I admit, and then neutral stick...the elevator goes from 30° up to 20° up and stays there! Seeking for an accelaration, and not responding directly to the stick command. It is all very well to ask for aerobatic training, but you will not win aerobatic competitions in a plane which keep the elevator up when you push the stick forward. Let us face it, on our new planes, you must avoid dire situations, because once really out of the normal operating envelope, your piloting skills may not be enough. the Perpignan pilot was experienced and competent, but he never could get in phase with his aircraft...