PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Turbulent Approach Less Flaps
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2012, 19:35
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
don't change anything

sure, I heard the idea many,many years ago that you use less flaps in certain situations...

with the exception of certain engine out situations in certain planes, and flap malfunctions...

I would not change the flap setting at all. I would use the maximum flap setting authorized by the manufacturer/FAA all the time.

Why?

So, there you go...flying for years using full flaps for landing and now , for the first time in years you use less flaps...you're doing something not routine...and you are more likely to screw it up.

you are more likely to hit the nosewheel first
you might use more runway than you have available
you might be less spooled up (in a jet) and be less able to correct with power.

you will have less of a chance to see the runway off an ILS

the idea that you will have more G loading protection is sort of odd, but it is very unlikely that you will encounter turbulence that will exceed your g limits. (in 37 years of flying, I have had two turbulence events that might be called severe...never seen extreme and much of my flying has been near the highest peaks in the 48 contiguous states.

so...why not just do what you are doing all the time...certainly add the wind/gust corrections to VREF

be on your toes ( literally too)
learn how to use assymetric thrust a bit on multi's

but every landing you ever did with full flaps is that much more experience when you really need it...otherwise you might as well do partial flap landings all the time (you'll be sorry)