PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Burmese Spitfires
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2012, 17:46
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photos of men on the moon exist in droves yet some still persist...

However, when the war against the Japanese in Burma came to an abrupt end, the British South-East Asia command decided to bury them to ensure they could not be found by the enemy.
Just read that sentence and ponder on the logic of burying aircraft so the vanquished enemy of a war that has ended won't get hold of them. It's total, utter nonsense. The mans talking out of his "boorhole".

And this one - equally as idiotic;
"We put a camera down a boorhole and went into a box and through two inches of Canadian pine,"
Down the "boorhole" - oh dear, he's not up on even the simplest terminology, is he?
Then into a box.
Then through 2 inches of Canadian pine, that matchwood - er - timber so tough it survives 70 years underground in the tropics...(he's had it analysed, I expect, or maybe just recognises Canadian against Norwegian when he sees it at the bottom of a "boorhole".) Scuse me, but what's 2 in of pine doing inside the box? Is this another example of the accurate terminology/description we've already seen?

But the pristine Spitfire inside is, well, "what we thought was an aeroplane."

So he can identify "Canadian " pine but can't identify what he sees as an aeroplane?

Is it me or is there a shortfall in credibility in what's being reported here, even if we have suspended belief in the many practical reasons why 40 Spitfires could not have been buried in crates in the first place, and the similar number of reasons why they couldn't be anything but crushed rust and compost if they had been.

There are more convincing arguments for the earth being flat, simple as that.