PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2012, 14:12
BALHR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The "leaking" tax system should be fixed anyway, and there are far better used for the cash, than a 'pie in the water' scheme'.
Rather than lend this cash for Boris Island, they may as well have a public owned island airport..The cost would be about the same.
I am suggesting that the airport should be public owned in the style of Network Rail

It would also be mostly funded by the government as well, the rest coming from bonds to the general public or QE

It's not on in the UK, the rates of interest would have to be high, as the risk of such a scheme, would attract such high rates, or nobody would invest.
Look: In the end this project is unfundable, unless we turn the clock back, and have state owned infrastructure..Expanding LHR, even if that meant compensation some, would be a much cheaper and feasible venture, as the infrastructure is already there.

If the governed game the go ahead for BFA, which would take eons to build..What would happen at LHR, it would mean the Uk's primary airport and only hub, winding down, who knows what consequences that would bring..The airport would be to coin a phrase, be a "dead duck" airport.
The bonds are aimed at savers in this country, but most or even all of the funding will come from the government, private investors would not be funding this airport

Look, I am not suggesting that LHR should close now, I feel that it should be expanded to at least 4 (and later 6) runways and upgraded (which could be done by the mid-2020s), once it has 6 runways and if it is still not adequate to cope with demand, then we should build a 8-10 runway THA (which would be finished in the 2030s) and close other airports in London when THA opens

But if the government cannot find the political will to expand LHR, then we would have to bring forward the THA project

This would mean the closure of LHR and other airports in the region, this will be a gradual process lasting 1-2 years, it would mean that employees would have to move and I suggest that LAL would buy the homes of those employees (depending on various factors) and sell them to housing associations to ease the burden on relocating

However in is place would be a "new" hub airport, once that can cope with all of London aviation demands and some more, once which would be among the worlds best, and it is called London Livingstone-Johnson Airport (as I would call it) or as it is currently known THA (or whatever other users call it)