PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Statins - miracle or menace?
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2012, 04:58
Burr Styers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Statins, Yay or nay ?

I'm my case, retrospectively - Nay.

In 2001 as an active ATPL/H I had an inferior MI - which was a bit of a Buggah, .....as I eventually got medically retired and lost my ticket....at age 45. But... I am still here.

I was prescribed statins post event (Pravastatin) and in the following years started to develop symptoms as decribed well in other forums - but at the time I didn't understand or associate the two.

In 2007, I had another heart attack, which resulted in a CABG (double).

The first line of my medical notes which I asked to see some months post op said, "Reaction to Statins".........Oh Buggah.....again.

I am very grateful to the skills of the surgeons and staff who treated me on the NHS, they were superb.

I do feel some bitterness towards the pharmacutical companies who are making hundreds of millions a year alone, just on this one product, and GPs ("incentivised" by said companies) are tossing these things out like sweeties at a panto.

Think a little more deeply about the message behind all these campaigns to give statins to the population at large- on a massive scale, its not quite as ultruistic as they would have you believe.

I now take a non statin replacement, (my cholesterol was never particulalry high in the first place (circa +/- 5.0), and 5+ years on from my CABG I'm fine thanks (Still working in aviation) .........but i'd rather had been the other side of an Inferior MI.....without the subsequent statin induced event.

Hopefully, my statin experience won't be that of others.

BS