PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judging The Flare
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2003, 08:30
Sensible

Flies for fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Landings were difficult for me too. The method which works for me is to look at the spot (the numbers if on a hard runway) where I intend to land and if that spot moves up the canopy then I need a tad more power, if it moves down, a tad less. I keep looking at that same spot using rudder as necessary to keep that spot in the centre of the canopy. I still use the same spot to adjust my descent until round out and then at round out, (when I have just lost sight of my landing spot) I transfer my vision to the end of the runway and use my peripheral vision to keep the airplane level and just hold the airplane at the same height (in the flare) pulling the stick/yoke back until the airplane stalls.

Things that I found were essential (to me) for a smooth landing were in order of importance 1. proper use of pitch, power and trim so that the descent was smooth down to the threshold. (Borrow a handbook for the airplane you are flying and study the recommended power and speed settings for approach). 2. relaxed use of the yoke, that means just two or three fingers of one hand only. If you need more than two fingers to control the airplane then you haven't trimmed it out properly! 3 Don't fixate on any one outside reference when in the round out, peripheral vision is essential both to the left and right to check that the airplane is level, that it is neither ascending or descending during the flare. 4. Hold the airplane off the ground by gradually increasing back pressure on the yoke to maintain the same altitude in the round out to hold the airplane off the runway, don't even think about pushing the stick/yoke forward to get the airplane onto the ground more quickly because that will undoubtedly result in a lot of tyre smoke and possible a bounce or even worse, a balloon and collapsed nose gear! 5. Proper seating position, if you are too low in the seat then you will lose vision over the nose too quickly and that just makes it more difficult to judge the round out height and attitude in the flare.

Many pilots who make bad landings are really making a good landing near impossible because of a bad approach. If the approach isn't good and smooth then the landing definitely won't be (except for an experienced pilot ie the instructor taking over to save the airplane!) I deliberately haven't mentioned xwind landings to save confusion and you won't be doing these yet. Good luck! Experience is like old age, it comes to us all in the end!