PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do companies legally have to pay you for "ICUS/Training" flights
Old 27th Nov 2012, 23:13
Horatio Leafblower

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
Devil

Given that the award is absolutely f*ck all, I am surprised that anyone would accept anything less. Given that the award is, in effect, the law, I am also surprised that any employer would put themselves in the position where they are going to get smashed.

Ok so I got to FWA and say I'm being under paid or not paid for ICUS ...
The next day the operator tells me to piss off and I'm out of a job.
There are provisions in the Fair Work Act specifically against this conduct by an employer, with penalties of up to $33k for organisations and $5000 for indivduals.

These provisions apply even if you have demanded an entitlement to which you are not, in fact, entitled.

Is the ICUS now in fact training??

The Air Pilots Award (common for most GA operators) states:

16.5 Where employment commences under this award [snip]... any training required to be conducted at the employee's cost will be reimbursed to the pilot.
It's in the award, it's law, and I'm not sure there is much discussion required. The Chief Pilot should be making a strong case to the owner to ensure the pilots are paid what they are entitled to (minimum) if only to protect the owner from legal liability.

I might be naive but good pilots are worth much more than $47k + allowances.