PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flap retraction
Thread: Flap retraction
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2012, 19:03
tommoutrie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last point first, I've had people put me up for a Darwin award, say I haven't got a clue what I'm doing, say I am guilty of making up procedures which are not in the AFM, accuse me of being a bar room pilot, and send me messages in private which are not pleasant. Paul (Doug) is someone I have known for a long time - I worked with him at a previous company and he knows that when he pokes at stick at me I'll poke back because its fun.

[1]You still haven't published a speed chart.
I will as soon as possible.
[2]You haven't come back with examples at the higher elevations or higher temperatures. I'll work through any example you like. Send me a scenario.
[3]You have clearly forgotten that some aircraft need to accelerate before they climb, look at the figures you were given by His Dudeness and someone else posted figures for the B737.
[4] No I haven't. You take the flaps at V2+x wherever that may be. For many bigger aircraft (A340 for instance) that may well take quite a while but once at the speed, you raise the flap.

You are fixated that there are only two heights involved in this process, 400 and 1500 feet.
There are no heights in relation to raising the flap. There are only speeds. If you need a level platform to attain the speed in the event of an engine failure for instance then you can use any platform for which you can calculate the resultant climbs.

[5]Your haven't mentioned obstacle clearance anywhere in your comments.
[6] Because its a total red herring. If you have a particularly close in obstacle which affected your climb predicated on an engine failure at V1 you will be above it very quickly. Any obstacle which you will clear with an engine failure at V1 and take off flap you will clear if you are all engines operating to V2+20 then climb clean. Thats exactly what the chart I posted shows you.

[7]
You haven't received any response from FSI, who you have accused of teaching people incorrectly.
Verbally they have told me that it is a Flight Safety SOP, nothing more. They are very unlikely to say anything more than that to me as I am a CAE customer.

I've had someone accept the bet which is great, and posted the climb charts.
I will put the speed chart up as soon as I can - probably when my kid is asleep.