PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WOULD YOU JOIN UP NOW
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2012, 18:46
Wholigan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having read all of this with some interest, and being officially "an old fart", I feel that I ought to contribute my twopennorth.

At the age of 6 or 7 I was intrigued by aeroplanes and thought it would be great if I could "do that".

At the age of 10 I was pretty much decided that I was going to be the best fighter pilot there had ever been (apart that is from Ace Brave who was really a space pilot but who cared, he was still a hero!).

At the age of 15 I had narrowed it down to the fact that I was going to be the best goddam Hunter pilot in the world!

I was very fortunate in that I fooled enough of the people enough of the time that I was able to become a Hunter pilot.

I really rather like to think that there are still a lot of young bloods out there who have today's equivalent of my dreams, and who will pursue them as hard as they can. If I am wrong then I shall go sit in a corner chewing a hankie and crying.

Right you lot, yes I lived through the best of times in the RAF (OK OK in my opinion that is).

Would I recommend that today's youth sign on the dotted line to join the RAF? Not only would I ...... I do whenever I get the chance.

Whether or not I believe that the RAF today is as much fun as it was, is as much of a challenge as it was, is as well equipped as it was, is as well supported as it was, is as well led as it was, or whatever ..... the one thing that I can pretty much be certain of (because it has to be this way) is that the people you will serve with will be an amazing bunch of guys and gals that - in my opinion - will be better in every way than the people that have chosen not to follow such a dream at your particular point in time.

You will have an awesome time that will be difficult to match anywhere else. You'll be pissed off severely at times, hell I was pissed off severely at times. Learn to live with that sh1t and make the most of life at its best anywhere!!!

So fu**ing there!

Edited to say: Joined in February 1964 and served continuously for 46 years, the last few as FTRS running an AEF.