PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WOULD YOU JOIN UP NOW
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2012, 18:38
BEagle

Received 271 Likes on 110 Posts
Bob, the first Yeovilton air show I can remember featured the Avro 707C! (No, not the 504 before any smart ar$e suggests that!)

The shows with formations of Sea Hawks, Sea Venoms plus the odds and sods like Meteors and Wyverns...

Then there was the show which featured the 'forthcoming' Sea Vixen and Scimitar prototypes. I can still remember exatly what the Scimitar's impressive arrival and max rate turn around the airfield sounded like!

The show with Vixens doing an airfield attack - and another doing a simulated tactical nuclear weapon 'over-the-shoulder' attack. Good flash, bang and petrol mushroom cloud followed!

The shows with the 'new' Phantoms......and Simon's Circus.....and the Blue Herons....

Yes, you can't compare the RAF of 1972 with the RAF (or RN) of today. But you could compare the RAF of 1992 with the RAF of 1972 and it would still have been easily recognisable. It was the rapid degeneration following the mid-90s which ruined everything in my opinion, I'm sorry to have to say.

Last edited by BEagle; 27th Nov 2012 at 18:40.