PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WOULD YOU JOIN UP NOW
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2012, 18:21
Bob Viking

Received 553 Likes on 151 Posts
Dengue Dude

I've only just read your post (#68) and presume it was directed at me. You appear to have missed my point.
I wholeheartedly agree that everyone is entitled to an opinion and I, for one, am very glad that we are not all the same. Life would be dull if that were the case.
I was just trying to answer the original question. Would I as an 18/21 year old still want to join the RAF as a fighter pilot in 2012? The answer is a categorical yes because I wouldn't know any different. I joined in 1999 having harboured the dream of flying FJs since my parents took me to the Yeovilton Air Days of the early 80's. Wild Horses couldn't have dragged me away (tenuous Rolling Stones reference).
On the other hand would I, as a 36 year old married father of two, join in 2012? Maybe not but that was not my personal circumstances when I went to the recruiting office. However, as mentioned above, what the hell would I be doing instead? I would bet money it wouldn't be as much fun as flying low level at high speed and dropping bombs.
I can absolutely understand why others feel differently but to compare the RAF of 1972 with the RAF of 2012 is fallicy.
I am very heartened to see that there are still guys who want to live the dream. good luck to them all.
I don't want to come across as a stuck record so I shall leave it there.
BV