PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Joining Qatar Airways (QR) - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 27th Nov 2012, 17:27
disagreeable

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RK303 :
Come on… if your goal is to be a jet airline pilot flying in G.A won’t give you a damn thing. Even with 5000h of piston, your value is zero for the “jet world”. Go for it only if you love G.A because high chance is you’ll be stuck in.
Only if you’re full of money to upgrade yourself during this time may help you or you know a key person of the “jet world” close to you or you’re a national of a country with lack of suitable locals or you manage to enter a ab-initio programme. Otherwise you’re loosing your time I’m afraid.
Not true at all RK303. My question is would you trust a person with 300hrs total time in a jet with your family? or would you trust a person with 5000hrs in G.A that dealt with bad weather, passengers, other possible emergencies/problems...... I know who I would choose.
What your advocating is for the smallest of percentage of people out there; know sombody or pay to get a jet rating!!! Neither of which has any advantage to the person other than to drain their wallet and sell them dreams.
They dont have time on type and therefore very uncompetative for most 'Jet' jobs. Thats why they need to work G.A.... that is:
single engine --> twin engine piston --> twin engine turbine(RPT)--> jet job)

Work in G.A if you get a shot. its the only way until you get the miracle golden goose egg called a 'jet job'..... and thats when you realise your either lucky to get a jet job in a good company that respects you , or one that makes you tear your hair out with frustration (QR).

Dont buy into the hype about Jet this and Jets that.... is all B.S.
The secret in aviation that nobody tells you is that you have to set a limit on your chasing the carrot.
There is always something bigger, faster, sleeker, seats more pax.... but you have to draw that line somewhere;

and thats where G.A comes into it.... unless you have experienced many different things in G.A then you will never have anything to compare it too when you obtain that "jet job".
Its not the be all and end all at all; I know countless people that denied going into heavies and other jet jobs because they realised that fact underlined above. Many are staying in their turboprop jobs (Q400's, twin otters etc) because they love the flying they do, the lifestyle is great for them and they dont need to be the "jet" guy at the cocktail party.

I am not saying dont do jets, I am saying two things;
Get experience where you can, regardless of what it is, and move up in a/c as your experience grows....
Secondly, you dont need to buy a jet rating straight out of school or even if you have 1000hrs.... it is useless unless you either have a job at the end of it or > 500Hrs on it.

personally, i would not advocate buying ratings at all for jets. thats something the employer should provide and they aint gonna give it to a 200hr pilot generrally.

Save your money guys
peace out and dont knockback any opportunity if it comes before QR....

good luck.