PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde engine intake "Thrust"
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2012, 14:15
Crabman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
goarnaut:

the engine adds momentum to the mass flow and hurls it out the back with greater force than it came in...the engine is hurled forward as a reaction...momentum is conserved...
That much, at least, my simple mind understands. That is how I always viewed the situation. That is the way I'll need to continue viewing the situation.

the inlet is actually making thrust
This is the wording that I find confusing. I can understand that some (most) of the thrust is being "actualized", "transferred", or [... fill in another word..] due to momentum changes in the airflow which are occurring in the inlet duct which are transferred to the walls of the inlet duct (and/or passed along with the airflow to the next stage), which are transferred to the engine structure which are transferred to the craft through the engine pylon. I also can understand that this (plus and minus changes to the momentum of the airflow) is occurring all through the engine.

My problem is this. From the point of view of the aircraft, all the thrust is coming from the pylon. I still think it would be an odd usage to say that the engine pylon is "actually making thrust".

I'll bow out now and continue reading this thread. I don't want to appear obstinate or argumentative. Many thanks to you and CliveL (and also to M2Dude who earlier attempted to explain this).