PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WOULD YOU JOIN UP NOW
View Single Post
Old 27th Nov 2012, 09:37
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
I've resisted joining this thread, but here goes...

After 27 years in 2 Services and several close shaves with leaving the RAF prematurely (and still serving) I enjoy immensly what I do. Would I have done things differently? Probably. Do I miss my brief flying career? Not really.

Have there been tours I've hated? One or two were not what I wanted but I got the best out of them, in part due to the great guys and girls that I have worked with. And that's the key - it's the people, not the job. Several years ago we went to a family wedding and the happy couple (both City lawyers) were supported by some of their City Alpha Male (and Alpha Female) friends. They were all about 30, earning 6 figure salaries...and hating every minute of it. They didn't trust their co-workers, they didn't trust their bosses, they were incredibly cynical about their work, and they couldn't wait to do the mythical 'down-shift' and move to a more simple life.

By comparison I had just returned from AFG, had a really interesting job in MB, had previously served overseas etc etc. I trusted my bosses, I really trusted my fellow SP and CS, I generally believed in what I was doing...etc.

Yes, the RAF is smaller and there are few overseas postings now; but when I joined people were bemoaning the loss of Singapore, Gan, you name it. However, for those who know me and my blunty background, in the last 13 years I have managed to pack in a huge range of operational tours, overseas postings, joint appointments and now likely to top it off with another great posting (probably my last). How have I done this? Self belief and doggedly pursuing the Desk officer with options - not problems! (and an understanding wife....)

In sum, would I join if I was 18-23 now? Absolutely!

Last edited by Whenurhappy; 27th Nov 2012 at 16:30.