PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WOULD YOU JOIN UP NOW
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2012, 22:21
ChristianR354

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84nomore & BEagle
Thank you for the kind words and encouragement to join the RAF. Its words like these that keep the motivation high to strive for the ultimate goal. I appreciate it! With all the current cuts that are happening its sometimes hard to think I could get selected. The competition is very fierce.

Long story regarding the UAS - I went to apply for MASUAS during my first year of University however I was still a member of the Air Training Corps at the time. I couldn't be a member of each simultaneously. It was one or the other. After long discussion with my squadron CO I decided to stay in the ATC for my final year as I was put in for promotion to F/Sgt and was also awarded my gliding scholarship so it was the best choice for me personally. I was awarded an ACPS too.

Start of my second year of University I re-applied for the UAS. Having timed out as a cadet due to my age I decided to give it another shot. Interview went well however I came across a little too shy. First time I've been interviewed by a Sqn Ldr, Flt Lt and an APO at the same time so the nerves got to me. In the end I wasn't selected for the UAS. Very disappointed news it was. I tried my best though!

I feel this set back puts me at a disadvantage to the competition when applying for the RAF. Especially against candidates who were selected for the UAS. I'm in a pickle as I don't know if this set back will really effect my chances of being selected. Still going to go for it though. It hasn't put me off joining a single bit. I've recently started as a CI at my cadet squadron so still keeping in the loop and volunteering!

Thanks again. All the best!
Chris