PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EAST MIDLANDS - 6
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2012, 18:47
ATNotts

Received 313 Likes on 181 Posts
East Midlands - Where is it?

I know this subject has been done to death, and that the over inflated egos of local councilors prevent the airport being given any one city name, but consider for a moment the foreign business person (very PC ay!)?

They know that Birmingham is near Birmingham, Manchester is near Manchester and even Leeds / Bradford clearly serves those two cities. But East Midlands? There's no state boundary for the East Midlands it's a vague geographical area invented locally, and defined to some extent by the BBC and ITV. It's like saying to someone in the UK - where Sachsen Anhalt airport (OK there isn't one - but it's just an example).

Confused by the airport name, you'll plump for flying to a city you might know is close to where you want to be.

If I was going to rename EMA I'd call it Derby / Nottingham - to the intense annoyance of Leicester I don't doubt - but the journey from Leicester is as easy from BHX as it is from EMA.

Calling Birmingham airport West Midlands would be commercial suicide - same goes for East Midlands I'm afraid.