PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying instruction in Las Vegas
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2003, 22:05
Sensible

Flies for fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really wouldn’t bother. North Las Vegas is at a high altitude so circuit bashing is less than exciting because airplanes don’t take off or climb well at high altitude especially if it’s hot. You are going to have to pay 172 rental rates for less than152 performance. Mc Carran Intl is busy to say the least and I think that a student would be on overload trying to land there. I rented an airplane at North Las Vegas flying club some few years ago and wasn’t overly impressed with the club, the aircraft, the airport, or the location. I was even less impressed with the speed that F16's come out of the nearby Nellis Air Force Base!!! I wasn’t very impressed with flying over the Grand Canyon either because special flight rules apply so that the tourist choppers get half a chance of flying through unmolested by Joe public pilots which means that you have to fly so high over the Canyon that you don’t get a good view or see anything interesting. Also, I went into McCarron a few months ago and ATC turned down my request to overfly the Hoover Dam. It may be they were too busy over there or maybe they are not keen on anybody overflying the dam post 9/11. There’s plenty of entertainment down the strip though! The Venetian and Madam Tussauds is not to be missed!