PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde engine intake "Thrust"
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2012, 10:07
goarnaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks...Clive...

Okay...the numbers are starting to come together like they should...

I made a math boo-boo in calculating cruise mass flow...but now I get ~177 lb...oh well...that's in the ballpark at least...

It doesn't change the fact that thermal efficiency is well over 50 percent on this engine...something the high bypass fans are only now reaching...although with the smaller mass flow propulsive efficiency would end up at ~75 percent...still pretty good...I put overall efficiency right at 40 percent...again where the top airliners are at today...

What do you think about a bigger mass flow and lower jet velocity to increase propulsive efficiency...?...I will try sending you a PM...any data you can provide would be most appreciated...

Regards,

Gordon.

PS: I had to smile at your comment about all this drag and thrust stuff being important only to the structure guys...I'm sure you meant no slight...and it is a fact of course that their role is very much secondary...but it is a bit funny nonetheless...I'm sure they would point out very earnestly that if they did not do their job...that a lot of those carefully designed engine bits would come flying off the airplane long before it ever reached Mach 2...