PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hong Kong Schooling, is your child primary 1 Sep 2012?
Old 26th Nov 2012, 07:59
joblow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxes

To answer the query from FERetd, parents with children get a break on taxes because they have kids, so no they aren't paying their way enrirely, there is going to be a subsidy to some extent from the general tax pool .If you want a fairer system then those who choose to have children should pay a higher tax rate than those with no children, after all they use more of the worlds resources

In Canada and the USA a large proportion of the property taxes are used for education, how does that benefit a single person or childless couple who have no need of the schooling system ?
If the employer pays for education great I'm all for it but then a pilot with 3 or 4 children will earn substantially more than a single person by the time education allowance is added to the package for doing the same job

Again I'm not trying to start an argument or hijack the thread. Education is not a choice it's an essential so good luck to all of you struggling to find school places for your children I hope it works out