PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emma McCune
Thread: Emma McCune
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2012, 04:55
Temp Spike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emma McCune

If any of you remember flying Emma McCune in an out of Sudan twenty years ago, or, that she was killed in 1993, her adopted son, a former child soldier, Emmanuel Jal has been on CNN a few times promoting Peace and AID for Africa. He’s gained a little notoriety as a rap artist and has turned out to be fine young man. Emma was pregnant when she was killed in an, “accident”, in Nairobi where she had gone to prepare for the birth of her child. She had married Riek Machar, the current Vice President of South Sudan.

Obituary: Emma McCune - People - News - The Independent

A woman named Deborah Scroggins wrote a book about Emma called “Emma’s War”. I will reserve judgment on the book, but for anyone of the many people involved in flying relief into Sudan out of Lokichogio Kenya between 1988 and 1993, most probably met Emma McCune, heard all the controversy, made their judgments, and, probably where quite shocked to hear of her sudden and violent death.

I knew her as well as most, she died 19 years ago this weekend. The last time I saw her she looked like she had been through hell. She was stumbling along a Loki dirt road, alone in the dark of night, making her way to the UN Camp from the airstrip, where she was practically persona-non grata. I gave her a ride, I asked her if she needed anything, we talked a bit, then I dropped her off at the UN Camp gate. It was the last I saw of her. That was November 1993.

Last edited by Temp Spike; 26th Nov 2012 at 05:24.