PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde engine intake "Thrust"
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2012, 10:22
goarnaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for those numbers, Clive...

I had estimated the compressor inlet area at ~1 m^2...based on the engine static mass flow of ~450 lb/s...and an assumed inlet Mach of 0.5...

Seeing as cruise mass flow is a lot less...perhaps some of my assumptions were off the mark...

Also surprised to hear a cruise thrust figure of just 8,000 lb...a Concorde website with lots of info gives 10,000 lb per engine...Wikipedia gives a Lift to Drag ratio of ~7 at M2 cruise...which would imply that ~50,000 lb of total thrust would be needed...since maximum weight is ~400,000 lb...fuel weight is ~200,000 lb...and fuel flow with max power and reheat is ~50,000 lb/hr...

This means even if it takes a full hour at the maximum fuel flow the airplane would still weigh at least 350,000 lbby the time it reached cruise speed and altitude...since thrust must equal drag in straight and level unaccelerated flight...it means 50,000 lb of thrust would be required...

Looks to me like there is a fair bit of confusing information floating around...hope you can clear some of that up...would like to do a full cycle analysis on the engine at cruise power...that SFC figure of 1.2 is very impressive...

Regards,

Gordon.