PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - why 2 pilots for a single pilot certified A/C
Old 25th Nov 2012, 08:41
fatmanmedia

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My view on this subject is simple, why the h$ll not have a biz jet that can fly in the FL500 to Fl600 at M0.95 flown by a single pilot, there is nothing technically to stop this from happening, a modern flight deck can handle 99% of the workload all the pilot has to do is monitor the systems and drink their coffee.

In two person crewed aircraft the co-pilots work can be handled by a dedicated computer that can act as a co-pilot and work independently from the rest of the flight deck, so when the PIC calls for “gear up” the co-pilot computer can bring the gear up and verbally indicated when the gear is up.

This is one example of where a computer co-pilot can reduce the workload for the PIC and make flying a larger aircraft as easy as flying a Cub.

I blame the regulators for not opening up the regulations and allowing more radical development in aircraft today.

I trust the technology to help me fly better, it's just a pity that the regulators don't.

Fats