PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Something to answer for AFT??
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2012, 23:22
drpixie

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Adding to my story so far (and thanks to those who offered suggestions) ...

I contacted the relevant person at CASA (GS). He had obviously had many enquiries about FPL but was polite, clear, and unwavering.

His position was:
- the exam was recently updated (we know that),
- there is no problem with the exam (NO PROBLEM!),
- they are looking into why the current pass rate is so low (but there is NO PROBLEM with the exam), wouldn't say what the pass rate is,
- he suggested I continue retaking the exam until I pass (though at 5% pass rate, it could be a long time before the dice rolls in my favour),
- he didn't consider that the answers were very specific/close, or to acknowledge the idea of some standard of accuracy.

He was very clear that if I did the question is the "correct" manner, I'd get the "correct" answer. The correct manner is partially specified by the ATPL exam guide (it does specify temp and weight rounding clearly) - but the guide doesn't specify how to interpolate winds, so I'm not sure what magic method he used to get the correct answer. My thoughts, magic method #1: always extrapolate accurately to exactly 1/2, 2/3 or the FL required. Magic method #2: use F185 for descent, F235 for climb, use nearest for cruise. Magic method #3: some combination of #1 and #2.

I'm unsurprised but pissed that this exam completely ignores the idea of testing the ability to flight plan to some level of accuracy - instead testing just that I know and can do just exactly what the examiner does. (It's like some of my Chinese PPL/CPL students asking what is the magic power setting I use for a perfect approach (they think it's perfect) ... must be that magic setting that we are given when we obtain CPL and do that thing with the goat and the secret handshake. Depending on the day/student, I answer either: "1743 rpm", or "whatever power gives you a perfect profile for that approach".)

So it seems that, at the moment, CASA has effectively ceased to issue ATPLs, except to that 5% of people who got really lucky. I do hope that wasn't their intention. Can I spell "overseas licence conversion"?

I suggest everyone affected both contact CASA and submit official complaints. The more obvious this becomes, the less slowly it will be dealt with.

Last edited by drpixie; 25th Nov 2012 at 01:11.