PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Atpl Professional Flying..if You Were To Do It All Again....
Old 26th Jan 2003, 16:51
juggernaut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy old age

I have read this post with interest and note views from both the 'go for it' and 'don't do it' camps, I have an ATPL/IR and over 4000 hours now and am still in instructing, although it beats working I would like a job where I could actually make some money in order to repay my financial outlay which is now over £45000, the reason I am still instructing is due to my age (over 40). The colleagues at the school where I work are in the same boat but most are in there twenties, FATPL/IR and with over 1500 hours, there are over 12 of them and many of them send off 20 C.V.'s a month and not one of them has had a sniff of a job, the last one to be employed was in November 2000, some are even considering paying for there own type rating to try to secure a job. If you do not have the qualifications then you will never know if you could have achieved your ambition, just be aware that at your age will be a large factor in getting that job and there are no guarantees whatsoever - as I have unfortunately found so far!

P.S. just renewed my instructors rating and class one medical at my own expense and my IR and MEPL is due again = £1700 ++!