PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TSA harassing foreign air crews ?
View Single Post
Old 26th Jan 2003, 15:14
slim_slag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are plenty of reasons not to come to America right now, but dislike of the screening process at airports is the about the stupidest I have heard in some time. TSA have done a great job in the short time they have been around, and when they get past the scramble to provide decent security, things should get better still. Inspecting people is not a nice job for either side, but you cannot on one hand scream for extra security on the ground, then when it is implemented complain because it is thorough. Never had a problem myself, and when I see somebody being searched (and when it happens to me I just keep a good attitude and it's soon over with) I never assume they are being hassled unless I hear them say that for themselves. As for seeing somebody being strip searched in public, I can only assume you had been smoking some strong weed.

So now I have got you all pissed off, let me really throw some gas on the flames

In the States the crew go through the same machines as the SLF, and they get to push in at the front of the queue. Whether this is fair is not the issue here, but I would say that none of us like queuing up, when I am flying on business the airport is my workplace too, and all I do is get there a little earlier.

It's a lovely sight to see the crew all turn up in their smart uniforms, especially if they are from the home country, it makes me feel all warm inside. It's not so lovely when I have waited patiently for my turn, am next in the queue to go through the machine, and a whole bloody 747 crew turn up.

Obviously this is planned beforehand at the crew briefing. The nimblest one nips in (obviously the team scrum half) and without a word throws her bag on the X-ray machine conveyor. I am somewhat shocked, move back a foot or two, and then the whole damned pack comes thundering on the scene, sort of like one of those flying wedges the Welsh once used with great effect against an otherwise superior English side. A couple of meaty props (must be the heavies they assign to the economy class cabin to keep people in their seats in case they divert for somebody farting in the toilet) guard the flanks, and the rest of the crew pile in through the middle. Last but not least, the captain turns up nonchalently filing his nails, then sneaks the pointy nail file into some unsuspecting blind 90 year old ladies pocket, so he can have a laugh when she gets thrown to the floor and strip searched by those TSA bullies who obviously have nothing better to do. Ten minutes later, it's my turn again.

How about you letting one of us punters through every time one of you goes through? Sort of stagger your assault on the queue? I did once suggest this to a young lady in her smart blue uniform. I was put down with a line which if transcribed would be so innocent, but the delivery was performed with such perfection that I felt I had been cut off at the knees. Essex girls do this so well , and I have to say if it the circumstances were different, I would have offered to marry her on the spot.

Funnily enough she was working on the same flight I was on, and I was sitting in one of the seats where they have to be nice to you Such joy. She was a charming lady when she wanted to be, it was a very good experience, so why not start this when you turn up for work?

I thought about having a word with the CSD, but didn't think it would help. Maybe this heartfelt plea for courtesy from all who find themselves in the security screening process will be good enough instead.