PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WOULD YOU JOIN UP NOW
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2012, 07:59
84nomore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After serving 23 years, commissioned and non-commissioned, I have to admit it was the best time of my life, and there were some very low times as well as extremely high.

As other posters have said, it may not be the same as it was, but those who were already serving when I joined up in 1984 had the same complaint. The opportunities are there for those who want them. I did most things I could get away with on the sport and AT front, others did nothing, and then whinged about not doing them. I travelled to places I had never thought of going (good places!) and saw so many things my non-serving mates could only dream of.

My son is now considering joining and I wouldn't stop him. The only thing I have said to him is go the commissioning route. He’ll have a better lifestyle and more money, and more importantly, an additional qualification having been an officer, which these days, still affords some respect in civvy street.

Would I join again? Maybe, but then again, I know better! Hindsight is a wonderful thing!