PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WOULD YOU JOIN UP NOW
View Single Post
Old 24th Nov 2012, 07:17
Party Animal

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Would I join?

Yes - absolutely. For the same reasons that I did 32 years ago. Bored to death with studying engineering, the Army/Navy/RAF/police/fire brigade offered the perfect solution. Having looked at them all, the desire to fly in the RAF far outweighed the other options and nothing else mattered.

Would I have accepted pilot/nav/AEng/AEOp/LM?

Yes absolutely. I wanted to fly - in any seat and never even considered a career beyond making the grade through training.

Would I have accepted ATC/FC/Regt etc...

Probably, but only at officer level. If this was the only option, I would seriously have looked at the Army and Navy as alternatives. Lets face it, some of us like parachuting, driving tanks, operating ships etc.. and service life will always attract these type of characters.

However, if you asked the question:

Would I stay?

Absolutely not. I think between 9 and 12 years would be my absolute limit. Enough to master ones art, do everything worth doing and realise that beyond that, the whole edifice is crumbling and rotting away around you without sufficient rewards to make it all worthwhile. I'm sure it would be a great 9-12 years but definitely time to move on at the end...