PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Multicrew pilot licence numbers grow as it approaches proof of concept
Old 24th Nov 2012, 05:54
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clearly from what you say about company SOP's your company doesn't trust you to fly a single engine approach but does permit you to do the actual touch down. What a strange logic and it is probably good that your trusting passengers wre not aware the most junior pilot is flying the approach on one engine. Otherwise there would be a riot on your hands.
No, Tee Emm, is doesn't clearly say anything of the sort Funnily enough, not all captains feel it is necessary, nor sensible, to be the steely-eyed hero who battles his crippled machine through adversity and saves the day....all the while ignoring the resource sitting next to him. The job of the captain is to manage the situation to achieve a safe outcome, not use the situation to try and grandstand how all his hours flying GA around the GAFA have given him an amazing ability to hand-fly in a non-normal situation. Far better to use the guy next to you, as he flies the aircraft through the autopilot and monitor his progress, all the while dealing with the other things a captain should: passengers, ATC, Company etc. I know I have the ability to do all those things but it is not effective use of all the resources I have to hand and, as I said previously, I always have the veto if I don't like something Bloggs is doing. As for the passengers being scared by the FO flying, why should they be? We're talking about someone, who is qualified to do so, operating the aircraft using SOPs while being checked by the other pilot. In your mind it's okay if he's an FO who's done 1500 hours of circuits in a C152 but not if he's come through as a cadet. To ensure the 'most junior pilot' is not allowed to fly the machine that means the captain is always going to have to fly it and it's that that makes no sense, not your ill-conceived opinion of the way a very large and successful British airline chooses to do it's business.

This MPL experiment will end in tears - waiting for the first major accident with one of them in the crew!

Flying basic aircraft solo over a hundred hours or so teaches you something - SURVIVAL!
Firefly Bob,

That has to be one of the most crass statements made in this thread. You're waiting for an accident to happen with an MPL pilot as part of the crew just so you can say 'I told you so' What about all the other accidents that have happened where non-MPL crew were involved? Just look at the most recent incidents and tot up how many thousands of hours the FOs had.

As for your suggestion that >100 hours of solo flight in a basic aircraft teaches you survival, I think you should try looking inward and not tarring others with the strange brush of logic with which you paint. I had a very healthy survival instinct before I ever stepped into an aircraft and that didn't change after 100 hours or 10000. Yes, we gain experience and that helps us to assist in the diagnosis of non-normal events but, let's face it, the vast majority of those are already pre-dealt with, thanks to the likes of Boeing and Airbus and those are well within the remit of a cadet that has been properly trained.