PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Atlantic
Thread: Virgin Atlantic
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 21:18
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote: "Corsair is part of TUI (A Travel Agent), it is mainly a charter carrier and the scheduled destinations are tourist oriented, so I would not count it as a “Full-Service” Carrier, Also they do not serve any domestic routes, they only serve Africa and North America

Air Europa is makes a better case for being a full-service carrier however, but it’s still operarates fair number of charter routes, I would compare then to Monarch and Air Berlin

So my case still stands that France and Spain can only sustain 1 full-service carrier"

So they do charter work, so what! Many carriers do, including full service ones. It can be a nice little earner. Don't know about VS, but BA do, and BD did, charter work.

SS, like VS, isn't in an alliance, UX is in Skyteam.

The case is not made: France and Spain can and do sustain more than one full-service carrier each.

Quote: "Because times have changed since VS was formed in the 80s, the market has been deregulated and hence BA has to now compete with LCCs, carriers in mainland Europe and now Gulf Airlines, they puts a lot of preassure on margins, what maks the problem worse is that there is a lack of space to lanuch new routes from LHR, hence it is not a good idea for VS to keep operating services on routes that alresdy have competition already"

Fascinating stuff, but not an answer to the question: why can the UK not sustain two full-service carriers.

The UK had three full service carriers till recently - and that's just those at LHR!

Now it has two (probably because of some bizarre management decisions at BD) and this is likely to continue.

But what about those not based at LHR, BE and T3 for example, don't they count just because they're "regional"?

Don't suppose there's any danger of you answering the other questions in post #618 properly.....

Last edited by Fairdealfrank; 24th Nov 2012 at 23:52.