PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why heavier aircrafts take longer to slow down in the air?
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 20:30
Bye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thank you HN39 we agree yet again, i was merely trying to explain that the gliders equivalent of thrust was its momentum.

But the context police jumped on me looking for a fight.

If you understood the basics of how drag varies with lift coefficient and how lift coefficient varies with speed and weight you wouldn't need to ask that question
i clearly don't and have in fact asked that question, would you now be so kind as to enlighten me please.

Dave think of a skier going down a ski jump ramp, at the end the ramp curls upwards to the sky, now as the skier gets to the turned up bit what happens to him, oh he goes upwards, is he creating lift, no then what carries upwards as he leaves the ramp, i guess it must be the momentum he built up on the way down.

and i don't really care how much you insult me about my knowledge.

the force of momentum
OK, this is where we came in, I give up.
sorry i keep forgetting i have to explain everything and leave nothing open to deliberate misintrepration

The word "of" from the dictionary.

of1    [uhv, ov; unstressed uhv or, especially before consonants, uh] Show IPA
preposition
(used to indicate distance or direction from, separation, deprivation, etc.): within a mile of the church; south of Omaha; to be robbed of one's money.
(used to indicate derivation, origin, or source): a man of good family; the plays of Shakespeare; a piece of cake.
(used to indicate cause, motive, occasion, or reason): to die of hunger.
(used to indicate material, component parts, substance, or contents): a dress of silk; an apartment of three rooms; a book of poems; a package of cheese.
(used to indicate apposition or identity): Is that idiot of a salesman calling again?

so you see i was using this word to try to explain that the force is derived from the momentum or that its source was the momentum, not that the 2 words are the same.

Last edited by Bye; 23rd Nov 2012 at 20:57.