PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Kingair 200/350 Start up sequence
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 15:23
His dudeness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 4000+ hrs on the KingAir, mainly the B200, few on F90s, C90A and C90B...none on the 350.

IMO there is no need to place it to low and then go to high. I always put it directly to high idle. And doing so has indeed to do with the relatively great strain the generator puts onto the engine. In low idle this would mean higher ITT than in high. I also alternate the starters, I do have the impression to equalize the high stress the first starter/gen has to bear...although there are people that never do that and their genies last as well...

Never forget to check you current limiters on the 200 after start...

The only reason to start right first is the somewhat shorter way from the battery to the starter, this might play a role with very low temperatures, less voltage drop, thats the only time IŽd use R/H first. (athough I think this is more or less academic...cause in very low temps one should use a GPU anyhow)

The last KingAir I flew a lot was 1478 (4-Blade-prop), that had already electric heat (not radiant) Electric heat uses something around 80 amps and if you use it in low idle you can actually see the difference in ITT (hotter). So going and staying in high not only gives you more bleed air then but also a cooler ITT.
When you start in hot conditions, the R/H engine provides for the A/C, therefore youŽd need this one in high idle anyways (63% min IIRC). Taxiing with on in high and one in low I found not practicable, so both go to high.

I also land in high idle and props fully forward. Pros IMHO: already somewhat spooled engine in case of a G/A, more readily available reverse and the short field technique practised....

Regarding the 90...its a considerably smaller engine. I would not recommend use of low idle for cross starts.

Last edited by His dudeness; 23rd Nov 2012 at 15:25.