PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Apple stuff - Mac, iPad, iphone
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 10:37
mixture

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How on earth can software be loaded for the a printer say, or to watch a movie without a DVD drive.
Bah... stop your whinging...

As AppleMacster says, you should not be installing drivers (printers or otherwise) using stuff that comes in the box. Boxes sit on various warehouse shelves along the distribution channel for months on end..... you are always better off downloading the latest driver from the manufacturer website.

And anyway, you'll find OS X has many printer drivers built in, and Apple can also provide automatic download options for many of the printer drivers that are not built in.

If you like watching DVDs on your computer then just buy a cheap external DVD drive. Its no big deal.

To be honest, all my present computers have DVD/CD drives, and I hardly use them. I do my backups to external hard drives connected via Firewire or USB because DVDs don't have enough capacity, and I download the latest drivers and software updates from the internet.

When I want to watch a DVD, I much prefer watching it on a TV attached to a DVD player.... sitting on the sofa is much more comfortable....

The internet (and local LAN and WLAN networks) are rendering traditional technologies such as DVD/CD redundant. And if you can't manage to transfer a file to someone over the internet, LAN or WLAN, there's always the ubiquitous USB stick which are cheap as chips these days.

What's happening with Apple after the ios 6 appalling maps debacle.
You can't compare the maps debacle (which they are working hard to fix) with the evolution of computing.....

Apple were the first company to drop the floppy drive.... many people were making mountains out of molehills back then .... tell me, do you honestly miss your floppy drive now ?

Same goes for ADB, serial ports, SCSI, built-in modems and all the other technologies Apple dropped at various points in time.

Now go buy that iMac you wanted in the first place and grab a DVD drive off Amazon.

Last edited by mixture; 23rd Nov 2012 at 11:01.