PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defect Reports
Thread: Defect Reports
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 08:42
CaptCloudbuster

Received 129 Likes on 37 Posts
Birds and lightning strike damage inspections are now being performed and assessed by pilots at unmanned stations. On what basis are you making these highly technical and safety based decisions?
As a QANTAS Pilot I don't, full stop.

I have been personally stuck in unmanned ports on many occasions waiting for hours or occasionally overnight due to birdstrike, fuel leaks, fume events and even careless baggage handlers who scratch cages along cargo hold doors. One entire PER based 737 crew stayed overnight in the Aircraft at YNWN due no accommodation last year.

When a defect occurs though that is not minor we have a procedure whereby the Capt consults with Maintenance Watch who can authorise him to use an MEL or issue an ATP that does not require maintenance action.

I am very satisfied with the safety of this procedure. As the Fed Sec has stated himself this procedure has been in place quite satisfactorily for years.

He says now that MOD has changed the game. He talks about oil not being checked every turnaround. We have posters here claiming Main ports are now virtually the same as non-maintenance ports.

QF 737 Pilots do lots of sectors. I don't need QF to send me to a course to be able to ask one of the many Engineers I see on a daily basis at work to figure out a 737-800 takes approx 18 units of oil. I've never seen less than 14. I have a personal limit now if I see 10 I'll call for an Engineer. I'm told the indicator will show LO qty at approx 4 units. Engineers tell me the oil consumption normal range can be as much as 0.5 units per hour. It is simple maths to realise with the MOD requirement for an Engineering check 2 to be performed at a max of 30 hours we have the oil situation covered.

Lets get this straight. At most ports if we have an issue Engineers are made available - MOD.

Last edited by CaptCloudbuster; 23rd Nov 2012 at 09:07.