PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New pension finalised
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 08:29
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We always HAVE had pensions change, and the attractiveness of that change has ebbed and flowed and been linked to the economy at the time (2006 heralded brilliant change for instance, and benefited many people). Just as the military has always closed down units and made men and women redundant and sometimes grown quickly again. And just as the militay pension has improved and declined over time, and it might well continue to do so - who knows? In my working life though.. I doubt it!

Its easy to focus on the headline items such as the revision of annual and lifetime allowances and how much tax free cash you'll get (if that changes). And yes, its easy to suggest blowing it all whilst you're young and relying on the basic state pension.. but I wonder.. can you rely on that, and when will you be drawing it? And when HMRC revised the lifetime allowance a year ago, the uptake of people wanting to protect that, was marginal. But don't forget, even if annual allowances ARE changed, there is still provision to carry forward 3 years previous unused allowance. Dropping a lump sum in a while back, when the market was in a dip, will serve many people particularly well.

The simple truth is; we are living longer, we all want to be able to retire earlier in comfort and the state wants more of our money and p*ssing it against the wall won't change any of that. However you save and however you invest, identify what your end game is and identify the time-lines, make sure you have a diversified strategy and approach, make sure you buy quality products and make sure you stay on top of things.