PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Nov 2012, 03:32
avs2002ie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just spent about 2:30hrs reading the whole thread. First off thanks to all who have helped answer so many questions and especially to lilfy for keeping calm and collected! I just had a few questions i felt weren't asked or answer not mentioned.

1) Looked at operators in both Nam and Bot, most seam to bond you(12months to 3 yrs) if hired. What is the average amount, incase you find a better opportunity in that time? While working is it taken monthly out of salary? how much?

2) What are the eye sight limits for medical? Is it the case of if you have foreign 1st class then its a given or separate tests? Eg FAA have no limit but uk CAA have -6 dioptre for initial 1st class.

3) Someone mentioned that simulator hours were counted in Nam? Wasnt able to find definitive answer, Is this true?..for both FNPTII and full flight simulators? In which case my hours would go from 270 to 360!

4) Seams most people went with the tourist visa option when arriving. Is there a difference in arriving by air or by road? do one or the other bother/hassle you more or less in regards to questions/searching etc

5) I hold a valid and current JAR frozen ATPL MEP/MEIR, no single. And a FAA CPL- ME/SE/IR with the last FAA flight test over 2 years ago! Would i need to do a biannual before I leave? Also can i mix and match my licences, Ie use my FAA CPL/SE and JAR IR to get validated or do i have to apply on one licence? Are there any FAA examiners in maun/windhoek that i could renew with while there?

6) Wilderness air mention 250 hrs as min for Nam, Zim and Zambia. Would one have to go to those separate locations or can you get interviewed in one place? which one is suggested to a pilot with 270hrs? maun/windhoek?

Hmm seams quite long and boring! sorry but any feed back would be greatly appreciated, apologies if these questions have already been addressed in the thread.

Thanks