PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying the Auster Airedale
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 18:11
StickRudder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airedales still going strong....

Thought I'd try revive the mis-named 'Auster Airedale' thread after 5 years - but yes, the Beagle A.109 really was and is the Final Auster, despite all those many 'refinements' cooked up in exactly 4 months from inception to first flight in May 1961. Its Cessna-like appearance certainly captured the imagination when launched, but not for long.

In February '12 I acquired one of the last 3 flying in the UK, and a lovely old bus it is . I used to see these about as a Hangar Rat at Leeds/Bradford (aka 'Yeadon Airport' !) back in the mid-late '60's - in particular, Ted Dexter's when he was up batting at Headingley- but never thought I'd end up owning one.

Not the most practical aeroplane with the extensive fuel burn of Lycoming O-360-A1 with CS prop needed to lug around max weight of 1250kg - it's 200kg heavier empty than a 172 - but plenty of its own quirky charms.
By the way, is much faster than somebody suggested above....purely an issue of how efficiently you set it up, and how much fuel you want to burn ! It is a very heavy machine and somewhat Lancaster-ish - the trim wheel should definitely be on a large bomber - but somehow talks to you in a way that spam-can metal can't, despite having non-Auster yokes. The massive flap lever is a strong-arm job, and usually best to forget the intermediate position except for takeoff. Requires the prop lever to be eased back during the run to prevent red-lining.

Will never be putting its aerobatic potential to the test, not least because it has a lapstrap-only exemption from the CAA , and I doubt the LAA would be too happy about it . Came over to a permit 4 years ago, and the longstanding previous owner had a large list of rectification issues to sort before LAA were happy - pretty strange that the previous CofA maintenance organisations clearly weren't as hot as might be expected, given what they charge.

I'm busy picking up bits of Beagle memorabilia - this was their first big splash product, the launch of a 'new' machine under their brand hoping to compete with the influx of all-metal Cessnas, Pipers and Rallye etc . It never really fooled anybody, and just couldn't compete - looking so obviously Auster-ish on closer inspection, and with obvious cost and performance issues. At least it held the fort while the pure-Beagle designs were progressed, the sleek B.206 twin, and the Pup. The last dozen or so built proved almost impossible to sell and went straight into store, and my own one was first factory-flown June 5th 1963, then mothballed until 1965 when it went to Shackleton Aviation - eventually put onto the register only then. Big Vintage party coming up in June !

Anybody out there have any relevant info or documents/ bits you might want to part with, please do chirp up.

Dunno how long it will be viable to keep it going, but fly it as often as possible....the Permit strip was a full 5-6 week job, and will be round again in no time at all. Don't go very far with it, but lots of takeoffs & landings .... a bit like managing something from the Shuttleworth collection....well, just as rare !

Last edited by StickRudder; 23rd Nov 2012 at 07:11. Reason: grammar etc.