PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coalition’s historic deal for major national air hub
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 15:04
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I had a guess, someone in the Vic government has identified that Sydney as Australia's premier business centre, is hamstrung in its growth. Problems with areas to expand, dilapidated infrastructure from the horse and buggy days, and a lack of political will and foresight are concisely represented in the gridlock on any decision centering around expanding Sydney's aviation facilities. There is an opportunity for other cities to capitalise on the Sydney/NSW navel gazing.

Brisbane/Qld would be the obvious and immediate usurper, but Melbourne is getting in as well. Kudos to Melbourne for identifying the importance of an airport and aviation infrastructure to the future growth of the city and the state.

Yes, there's a lot of spin in the article. I'm sure the pieces will fall into place as a form of this project moves forward. The important thing is that Melbourne has identified an opportunity for growth with aviation as a tenement for sustaining that growth, and is putting forward an investment in time, resources and most importantly: political support.

Watch out Sydney!

(Edited as BrissySC reminded me of a few of Brisbane's initiatives towards this goal too.)

Last edited by Lodown; 22nd Nov 2012 at 17:05.