PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WOULD YOU JOIN UP NOW
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 12:13
Lukeafb1

Nemesis of the Proot Dynasty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I left the R.A.F. in 1973, having joined in 1959. Would I have advocated any of my four children to join? I doubt it, even though back then, I had a good career. Albeit, my eldest daughter did eventually fly in the U.S. Air Force.

But I have often wondered since I left, whether I made the wrong decision to join (or rather my father, who signed me up at 15 until I was 30). Even in my early teens, I desperately wanted to be either a pilot or a film director. And a film director seemed like pie in the sky.

When I came out in 1973, I started to pursue a media career and eventually reached the dizzying heights of Director (after Cameraman, VT Editor and Producer). However, my question to myself is, had I started my media career in the early 60s instead of the 70s, would I have made it to Hollywood big time? Who knows (although I did do one Hollywood series)?

My point is, did my air force career eventually stop me achieving my full potential? Although it gave me many skills (including flying) which I otherwise would not have acquired I’ll never know; and whilst I enjoyed my time in the air force, I do often wonder what might have been.

Like others on this thread, I would pose the question, where do you go after the military now? The answer seems to be a very big question mark, especially in today’s economic climate. I would hate my children to have served in the military and now be looking for a virtually non-existent job in Civvy Street and trying to support a family.