PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Laws for ambulance missions
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 11:17
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aerobat

I do know a little about this as I was asked years ago to repatriate a dying man from Spain by a friend and his family in a twin engined piston.
I was concerned and checked the legal position.

The Captain has a duty of care to the PAX able bodied or otherwise.
Ie if anything happens to said PAX The Captain could theoretically be sued even if the family of the dying man give permission.
The Captain removes that duty of care insisting that the medical world approve his transport.
They would stipulate what equipment needs to be carried, what medication, what level of on board care etc.
Ie the doctors take on that duty of care from the Captain by stipulating the conditions required for the flight. As long as those conditions are met that is all that is required from flying a normal flight.
In my case I refused the flight which was lucky as the man died two days later. With the extra stress of the flight trying to do a favor for the family may have meant a dead PAX!

Medical work could involve anything from someone with a fractured foot to a dying man who needs intensive care and equipment so each case is unique

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 22nd Nov 2012 at 11:24.