PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WOULD YOU JOIN UP NOW
View Single Post
Old 22nd Nov 2012, 05:40
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
RANK BOUND RESTRICTIONS

Just a comment on ranks, restrictions etc.

On leaving regular service, I worked for a business consultancy and was frequently mocked - in a jovial way - about the whole rank business and things like saluting.

On saluting, I pointed out why it was done and also would comment that in civilian clothes and wearing a hat, I would toff my hat to a lady or a gent such as the vicar or whoever. It was for me that and saluting were common courtesies and I never got uptight about it; saluting was a visible demonstration that I was a servant of the crown.

Regarding rank structures, I pointed out that the company had a very well defined hierarchy and this manifested itself in many ways, including who had the private offices, the personal secretaries etc. I also reminded them that whenever somebody I didn't know phoned or spoke with me, the conversation would start on the lines of: 'I'm Joe Bloggs, an associate partner in the Process stream' or 'My managing partner, Penny Buggins, has told me she wants you to ....'. Again this didn't bother me.

I agree that the armed forces is not for everybody and although I have had my fair share of being messed about, my attitude has allowed me to ride with the punches. Two days ago, I was told that there was good news and bad news. The good news is that I have been 'signed on' as a volunteer reservist until I'm 70 (14 months time); the other news is - not a day more!!

Old Duffer